Wednesday, October 27, 2010

artist book stuff

I am trying to create an interactive experience that will demonstrate the theme of collective memory while incorporating the idea of how prions contribute to effective memory.  I am planning on using collective/shared memories as my source of photos.  Each page of the book will have a picture that is not modified as well as a pouch of some sort that contains a folded version of the image.  The reader/viewer will be encouraged to unfold the image and try to see how the folding image relates to the unaltered image.  Can the image be recognized in its folded form? 
      My reasoning behind this is to demonstrated how memory changes as we remember it and we lose some details and fill them in with what we are currently experiencing.  The folded images will have pieces missing, so it will be as if the folded image represents a memory of the original image.  It is an experiment to see where different folds will lead the viewer to interpret the memory. 
    Prions are infectious proteins that can cause other proteins to become infected.  The process of changing a regular protein to a prion involves a misfolding of the protein.  Prions have been shown to play a role in long term memory.  Will you misfold and become infected?

Here are some works in progress.  I plan to make the folded images at a larger scale and am open to suggestions as to what kind of paper would work for folding and not ripping.  I am also planning on experimenting with various 3D shapes that the folding can create.  Maybe trying an image on both sides of the paper, making it harder to match the original image to the folded image (various degrees of memory loss), or varying the location of the folding outline printed on the image.




8 comments:

  1. I think your idea is GENIUS! Seriously, this topic is so fascinating and how you represented the prions and connected everything together is absolutely intriguing. I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I forgot to say this but maybe you could use card stock for the paper you fold (I think that's what the really thick paper is called). I know Staples sells white paper of different weights. Or you could try laminating regular paper, but I don't know if that would be pretty when you fold it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say that you're brilliant? You're doing such a cool thing by actually making this project have something to do with your major...Totes didn't do that. Your demonstration was really cool as well, and I love the idea of the parallel between the refolding up of the prions in an incorrect manner and the way that every time we revisit our memories we alter and change and screw them up as well. It must have taken so long to recreate those prions from the images and I think this is a fantastic idea. And card stock would be a good idea, as Emily said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I really like the idea of recognizing the picture as it unfolds; I think it's an interesting angle to look at. I'm going to second the idea on cardstock. It might be a bit more difficult to fold but once you do, it should be more resistant to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a brilliant, wonderful, creative, fantastic, and any other adjective that means the same thing idea!!!! I LOVE that you are using our wonderful prions and tying them into this project. I cannot wait to see the end product of this book!! I definitely say go with the cardstock It's a pain in the butt to fold sometimes, but if you make sure to crease the folds really well, you'll be glad you went with the heavier paper. Michael's has a bunch of it and I know they have 8.5 x 11 inch piece packs in white that would work for printing and all that fun stuff. I'm in love with your idea and cannot wait to see how it turns out! You're brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alan. I love your idea... I really think that you're right on track and the fact that you're hearing all this input and getting all of this feedback is going to make your book amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THIS IDEA!! One thing that I would work on (which was also brought up in class) is finding a thicker paper so that people can use it and not ruin the project. Also one thing that I think I would improve is maybe not using too many complicated folds, only because it will be more difficult to put back together for the next person to use. Anyway I seriously love this idea and love the interesting perspective. Its a very literal way of showing how memories can be altered and it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you're all set in terms of trying to find a paper stock that will work for you - hopefully you got some good news from the print shop?

    Also, as I was looking at the images you posted to demonstrate your ideas in this post, I was struck by how strong they were in and of themselves. You might consider using some photographs of the object WITH the photograph (maybe you already were considering this) - at any rate, those images are strong, and serve to further reinforce your ideas.

    ReplyDelete