Sunday, August 29, 2010

Photobook

     I divided my photobook into four main sections.  The first section contains my first experiences as a young child such as my first bike, my first Fox Day,and my first day of kindergarten.  I do not remember any of these events occurring.  I vaguely remember riding my first brand new Gargoyle bike with training wheels.  However, I am trusting what my mother has told me about these photos are true. The first day of kindergarten is such a big deal for parents and all I remember is that I was afraid I would forget my bus number. The kid staring expectantly at the lamb birthday cake is me.  This is actually my second birthday because we could not find a picture of my first. My mom is most likely saying "blow out the candles Alan".   I believe that first experiences can shape the rest of your life.  Even though I do not remember them I am sure that they have impacted me.
      The second section portrays those who are and have been special to me.  Those that I find special say something about myself.  They are all loving people who have played an important role in my life.  On the first page I am being held by both of my grandfathers.  For some reason I have always felt strongly attached to these photos.  I guess it is the combination of seeing what I looked like back then and seeing how happy the people holding me look. The picture of my sister, my grandmother(wearing the parka),and I sitting on the beach in December shows how wacky our family can be.  The picture of my mother wearing her cap and gown during my sister's commencement demonstrates the continued influence of educators in my life.  Both my mom and my dad are teachers.  The last pictures in this section are of my girlfriend and I when we were six and then currently.  It seems that we have become more serious and reflective as we have matured.  I hope that is not true.
       I devoted the third section to my sister.  My sister has been an important part of my life and these pictures are the proof.  We have shared many Fox Days together and seen snow for the first time together.
     The fourth section represents my connection with nature.  My mom was the first to introduce me to nature and convinced me to appreciate it.  I arranged these photos to reflect the interconnectedness of nature.  I combined the Wekiwa river with a stream in the Smokey Mountains and an old growth forest with a glacial lake.  When I see the picture of the pile of maple leaves in my front yard I can still remember the smell of the damp leaves.  My mother's botanist background has influenced my love of plants, especially flowers.  The last page is a reflection on how much I have physically changed over the years and yet I hold the same inner attitudes to be true.  I still have a sweet tooth (my cavities are proof), I try to be a star student, and I continue to wear clothes that do not fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment