Saturday, September 18, 2010

old and new



  My partner at the Mayflower could not make it to last week's meeting, so instead she left me a couple of old photographs (mainly portraits).  Some were in the form of postcards, where the picture of a family member was on the front and a note could be written on the back.  This collection of old photographs seemed like a rare treasure that I was able to view.  I found a collection of Victorian and Edwardian portraits (http://www.rogerco.freeserve.co.uk/ ) and started scrolling through them.  I like this photo of the school children because of their realistic faces.  They are upset that they had to stay sitting for such a long time for the photograph to develop. 

   





 These old fashioned photographs reminded me of a modern artist that I had recently discovered(http://www.travislouie.com/ ).  Travis Louie uses the Victorian portrait model but then  replaces the normal subjects with various monsters.  It is quite enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment